Sunday, February 20, 2011

RAVE: Darn True Love Always Getting in the Way of Everything!

Well Hi there Sunshine!

Love makes for good theatre. And so does death. Know what makes for a good book? Good theatre. And a love triangle.
So a good book has a love triangle and one team has to die. Or there at least has to be some love lost. Examples? Five out my Top Six Serieses.
Let's start with the most obvious: Twilight. The whole Edward/Bella/Jacob thing was insane. Yet Stephenie Meyer managed to end it in a way that made everyone... relatively contented. Mostly. I think, I'm not a super-obsessive Twihard. But, the whole happy ending, this is the main reason Twilight is number six on my list. Let's face it-- Happily Ever After is sooo last season.
Now The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, THAT'S an entirely different matter. In Rebel Angels there was a small triangle with Kartik/Gemma vs. Simon/Gemma. I myself was rather disenchanted with Simon when he tried to, ah, compromise Gemma's virtue -- or something like that. Although everyone seems to have forgotten about that in The Sweet Far Thing. Seriously. Does anyone else remember that fuzzy scene with the bed after Gemma drank the absinthe? How unchaste, Simon. I'm shaking my head in disappointment like an annoying mom who always knows best.
Anyway, Simon ended up marrying that other girl, Lucy Fairchild and Kartik and Gemma made out a lot, but did they get a happy ending? No. Of course not. Instead, Kartik turned into a tree that eats souls.
The same rules apply to the incredible, indescribable Maximum Ride. I mean, Fax vs. Mylan was a no-brainer -- Or so I thought, until ANGEL came out :'( -- but do you remember the panicked frenzy everyone went into when they heard Fang might die? That was PSYCHOTIC. James Patterson was getting veiled death threats! Then, at the end of FANG, when he left Max,
THE.
WORLD.
CRIED.
It was awesome.
However, on a completely different note, Mockingjay, the third and final book in The Hunger Games Trilogy, was somewhat disappointing. I mean, it was awesome, but the whole Peeta-or-Gale thing. Katniss chose Peeta 'cause Gale got a fancy job in some other District and he was maybe possibly partly responsible for the idea that killed Prim (I think. I'm a bit hazy on the details. But hey! Here's a song that reminds me of Gale: "Wretches and Kings" by Linkin Park). Love me or hate me for this, but I think Gale should've been made unavailable by non-romantic means. Like... death. And keep in mind that I'm only talking about the romantic part when I say it was just too anticlimactic.
Overall, love triangles seem to be a good thing. Unless of course your team loses, which has only happened to me -- twice? In the novel Eyes like Stars, I was for Team Nate, but he got kidnapped as a sacrifice to the Sea Goddess. And Bertie fell for that psycho air spirit, Ariel, the VILLAIN of the story! WTH?
And the heartbreaker: My losing battle in the fight to save Faxness.
Anyway. Love Triangles: Your thoughts?

Signing off,
Sweet but Insane

No comments:

Post a Comment